Hammer Time

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Grandad Bill

I believe that God is all around us, if we only take the time to look.  Sometimes blessings are hidden in everyday life, but they are there nonetheless.


Last night my Grandad Bill was called to Heaven.  He was a humble, hardworking, stubborn man, who will be greatly missed.  He lived a simple life, dedicated to his family and his friends. Despite the fact that he lost his wife to cancer, a son to a brain tumor, and a tornado decimated his home and community, he carried on.  God is good.

In more recent years, a stroke left him wheelchair bound and forced him into assisted living.  He was often very tired and difficult to understand, but on our recent visit this summer, he was joyful.  His speech was clear enough for his great grandchildren to understand him, and he shared cookies with Shay, joked with Kale about "breaking out of the joint and chasing women," and left Bailey in awe as he ate a raw tomato like an apple. He and I even laughed about my tendency to drive his golf cart through mud puddles (and precariously close to trees) when I was a little girl.  God is good.



This past week Dain and I took our family back to Hutchinson for the fair.  It just so happened that on the drive there I got the call from Mom saying that Grandad wasn't well, and Hospice was being called in.  I will be forever grateful that because we were in town, I got to see him one last time, talk to him, hold his hand, and say goodbye.  God is good.

And finally, this weekend as he was taking his final breaths, my cousin and his wife welcomed a new baby girl into the world; the circle of life continued.  My Grandad raised three amazing children.  He was blessed with 8 grandchildren, and over a dozen great-grandchildren (plus 3 more on the way).  My Grandad Bill can rest peacefully with my Grandmother Hollis knowing that his legacy will carry on through those that loved him most.   God is good.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful words and memories. I too thought of the circle of life he has created with so many beautiful grand babies!