I love everything about the holiday season: the decorations, the gifts, the cheesy songs, the cookies and candy, and the fact that everywhere you look there are signs of Christmas. I do not like the stress that comes with the season, because the truth of the matter is, I tend to get caught up in creating the "perfect holiday" for my family. You know: the perfect tree, and beautifully decorated house, and plates of goodies, and cards out on time, and shopping done weeks in advance so I can attend holiday parties and create Christmas crafts with the kids.....all of which generally leave me tired and ready for the new year.
The truth is, I haven't mailed my Christmas cards yet, and we did make cookies, but they were misshapen and doused in a pound of sprinkles. I think I'm almost done shopping, our tree has random "groups" of ornaments, and the house looks more like a kindergarten classroom than anything found in the pages of "Better Homes and Gardens."
But you know what? I'm okay with that, because my family is happy. My husband doesn't seem to mind the slightly dried out cookies with store bought frosting and 1/2 a bottle of red crystals on top. My son thinks our tree is so wonderful, we should keep it up all year, and my two year old is thrilled that her holiday artwork is on display. Furthermore, after much practice, she has FINALLY figured out that the correct lyrics to the song "Jingle Bells" do not include the words, "Tinker Bell, Tinker Bell." The baby even used the presents under the tree as her motivation to start crawling. Me? I'm on track to get the cards mailed out tomorrow (or Wednesday at least), and I've fallen in love with peppermint mocha creamer in my morning coffee. Perfect? Not quite...but happy nonetheless.
And so, as December 25th fast approaches, I hope you are filled with the Wonder of Christmas, and that you are blessed with holidays that are as perfectly imperfect as ours.
Merry Christmas!
~Katie
5 comments:
Nicely put! (....hope things at our house were somewhat perfect for the Ballard celebration :)....) Nonetheless, we had fun!
Love this! Thanks for such a refreshing perspective girl! Miss you!
Very nice!!! I am sure everything looks wonderful. Enjoy your holiday!
Love it!! Some of my cards got sent yesterday...some today. I've realized I'll have years and years to have a perfectly decorated house...but only a few years with handmade decorations and messes everywhere from kids(and their friends) trashing the house.
Have a very Merry Christmas and hug those adorable kids for us!
I'm sure you do what you can. Glad you are happy and enjoy your holidays with your family!
Post a Comment