I mentioned a while back that we had lots & lots of football this fall.....
And truly, I wasn't exaggerating! Due to unforeseen circumstances, Dain inherited the job of President of the Eudora Youth Football League. This meant that in addition to coaching the third grade team, he also had a bazillion other tasks to carry out (we're talking hours and hours of work) in his "free" time in the evenings and on weekends.
It. Was. Nuts. Seriously.....to the point where I was often thinking, "This is football for goodness sakes!" "We're not saving the world!"
But that's just it. The point I was missing was this: It's not just football, it's it's making a difference in a child's life, which essentially is saving the world one small act at a time. And as cheesy and idealistic as it sounds, I truly believe that. It doesn't matter whether you're coaching a sport, or instructing ballet or music lessons, or teaching art or religious education, it's showing a kid that you care enough about them to show up and be present in their life.
Today a parent of a child Dain coached posted this:
It has been said that it takes a village to raise a child. I believe this has been true for our son. From teachers, grandparents, and aunts to friends who feel like family, we have been blessed by the number ofpeople who have helped guide C on his journey through childhood. One very special "villager" has been C's football coach. C likes football, but he LOVES his Coach Dain. Because of this relationship he is excited to go to practice, works to be a team player, and tries harder to pay attention in school so he can bring a good report to practice. Thank you, Dain for investing in your players. You're making a difference in their lives on and off the field!
Oh, man I can't tell you how that makes my heart swell with pride. And maybe even more importantly, it makes me appreciate all the "villagers" who support my children, too.
1 comment:
Oh my goodness! That was so sweet! Love it! Sorry it was so busy, but such a wonderful perspective on your time well spent. Miss you all! XOXO
Post a Comment