Hammer Time

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Finding Joy Amidst the Pain

About a decade ago I was a senior in college.  I was a girl with a checklist....a schedule for how my life was going to lay out.  I have always been a person who likes to know what's coming next; a planner by nature.  I dare say that I was self-centered enough to believe that I alone was in control.

As I was finishing up my coursework, contemplating the next steps in my career, and beginning a life with Dain, we found out I was pregnant.  Just like that,  our world got turned upside down.
Life is funny that way.

On April 4th, 2005 our sweet Kale Bug came into this world, and suddenly in all the uncertainty, I was certain of one thing: God's plan for my life,  for our life, is so much greater than our own.

It's a mantra that I, that WE have carried from that day on.



Today we said goodbye to the sweet baby that was growing inside me.  It was unexpected and painful, and yet through  the despair there were glimpses of joy:

My doctor and his staff were incredibly helpful, and made all the arrangements for getting me to see a specialist when I was simply too shocked to know up from down.

The staff at Menorah Medical were loving, compassionate and accommodating.

Our sweet children, who can, mostly certainly sense the pain more than we give them credit for, cried along with us, but also offered the optimistic perspective through a child's eyes: "God has lots of babies, mama.  Maybe he will send us another if we ask."

And of course, friends, family, and coworkers have lifted us up in prayer and support.




The pain is there, but rest assured, so is the joy in trusting in God's plan.  For now, we will count our blessings here on earth, and find comfort knowing that we have a new, tiny, guardian angel watching over our family.

Thank you for love, prayers, and support.
~Katie & Dain

No comments: