Hammer Time

Thursday, September 29, 2016

This Morning (Adventures With Hadley Grace)

This morning we woke up bleary eyed (to the sound of cries) after a long, restless night.


When Daddy left for work I hugged him and said, "Sorry you didn't get sleep."

He kissed the top of my head (because I had not found time to brush my teeth) and said, "Ditto."


After getting the big kids dressed and fed and notes signed and lunches packed and dropped off at school, I tried to resume our normal routine, but you were in no mood to eat.  Or play.  Or walk.

So this morning you napped on me for nearly two hours as my to-do list ran through my head like a wild fire searching for dry leaves to consume.  



There was a time when a morning like this would have left me irritated at all that had not been done.  But this morning I know that a napping baby is a beautiful gift, and to get to be a mama who can stop, and sit, and mute the tv to watch your tiny chest rise and fall is a blessing.


And now that you've had breakfast and I've had another cup of coffee, I think it is probably in our best interested to throw out the to-do list and just play.  Because really, what's a beautiful morning without a beautiful afternoon?








No comments: